Binghamton is full of neat buildings and beautiful architecture. We’ve been told that there were even cooler buildings in exsistence however the urban renewal programs of the 1960’s and 1970’s wiped many of them out. Below is a list of 10 of our most favorite buildings (inside and out). Note that we are by no means architectural experts.
Where: 31 Lewis Street
History: Erected in 1903 by the Kilmer family, this building served as the headquarters of the then-famous “patent medicine”, Swamp Root. The building was recently restored in the early 2000’s and now is home to Remlik’s Grill and Oyster Bar, The Goldsmith, Touché and a variety of other commercial enterprises.
Why we love it: This building has so much class. From the marble foyer, to the moldings, to the amazing woodwork. Step into the Kilmer building and it’s like stepping back in time
Where: 19 Chenango Street
History: Also built by the Kilmer Family, this building was the HQ of the now defunct Binghamton Press. The Kilmer’s (with their large ego) ensured this this building was the tallest in Binghamton (which it was until the State Office Building was completed in the 60’s). Water and smoke from a nearby fire severely damaged the building in 2010. Sadly, the building still remains vacant, with very few noticeable renovations completed since the fire.
Why we love it: The cement/plaster moldings of “green men” on the outside and inside of the building. And it’s sheer height make it a pretty cool landmark in Binghamton. Get well soon Press Building!
Security Mutual Building
Where: 100 Court Street
History: Built in 1904 (no, not by the Kilmer Family), this grand building has been the headquarters of the Security Mutual Life Company for over 100 years.
Why we love it: The marble foyer, double staircase and paintings are incredible. We also enjoy the dog’s head that sits high above the doorway. It’s also pretty cool that they light this building up each and every night to reflect different seasons and occasions.
The Court House
Where: 92 Court Street
History: This court house has served the people of Binghamton faithfully since the late 1800’s. A few additions/renovations have been made to the building throughout the years but it’s remained pretty much the same for 100 years.
Why we love it: The copper dome and the pillars. It’s just a cool structure.
Christ Episcopal Church
Where: 10 Henry Street
History: This church is over 150 years old and it still serves its original purpose of bringing people together for prayer.
Why we love it: The bell tower is very majestic and gives off that “gothic” type of feel. Also, because of its age the stone has an almost mossy, green hue which adds to the coolness of the building.
Where: Corner of Main and Murray Streets
History: Built in 1922, this building was the meeting place for the Free Masons of Broome County. In the 60’s and 70’s it was also used as a Theatre and was even home to the Tri-Cities Opera. It’s been abandoned since the early 2000’s when plans for its conversion to student housing fell through.
Why we love it: The entrance way and pillars. It’s just a neat looking building. And there’s some mystique about it being abandoned.
Where: 30 Front Street
History: This lavish mansion was built in 1906 by Lumber Baron Alonzo Roberson. He used the home to showcase his company’s work and craftsmanship. From what we’re told the Roberson’s were quite boring and hardly ever entertained. Since the 60’s the Roberson Mansion has been apart of the Roberson Museum & Science Center, an organization dedicated to education, art and science. Roberson Museum & Science Center is a true asset to this community.
Why we love it: The woodwork on the interior is incredible, like truly incredible. The wrought iron gates that surround the front yard are also awesome. We love a good ghost tale and there are rumors that this place is indeed haunted.
Where: 91 Court Street
History: Designed in 1876 by the famous architect Isaac Perry, this building has been home to numerous local businesses over the last 125+ years. This building was also featured in the 1991 movie Liebestraum.
Why we love it: This building looks like a giant puzzle and its completely cast iron (the only one in Binghamton).
Where: 45 Lewis Street
History: Built in 1900 this station was utilized for passenger and cargo transport. Passenger service was halted in the 60’s. Now serves as office space for several local businesses.
Why we love it: Trains remind of us a simpler time. This building has that old industrial feel.
Stone Opera House
Where: 45 Chenango Street
History: Built in 1892, this building served as the hub of the Binghamton Opera scene throughout the late 19th and early 20th century. From the 1930’s-1970’s it was used as a movie theatre. It’s basically been abandoned since then.
Why we love it: The red stone and the perfectly symmetrical design.