Friends, Binghamtonians, countrymen lend me your ears…..and your stomachs. We here at CommuniKey have over 100 years of combined food-eating experience here in Binghamton. Below is a list of 10 of our favorite foods that we highly suggest that you try. Note: this is by no means a complete list; there are scores of great restaurants serving up dozens of awesome dishes here in Bing.
Our top 10 (in no particular order)
1. Spiedie Sub-This Binghamton food staple is a must try for anyone living in or passing through Binghamton. If you aren’t familiar with the iconic Spiedie, it’s basically marinated pieces of meat (chicken, pork or lamb) set atop bread or a sub roll. It’s so simple, yet so delicious. There are many places in Binghamton to enjoy Spiedies but our personal favorite is Lupo’s S&S Char Pit.
2. The Hot Plate-It’s Binghamton’s take on the famous Rochester “Garbage Plate”. Hungry customers create their own personalized Hot Plates by combining a variety of starches, meats and condiments. The classic Hot Plate is macaroni salad and home fries topped with two cheese burgers, chili, mustard and onions. Our personal favorite is mac salad, mashed potatoes, buffalo chicken tenders, chili, mustard and extra onions. And our go-to spot for the Hot Plate is Binghamton Hots.
3. Little Venice Sauce-Only a select few people know the secret ingredients that makes Little Venice’s sauce both sweet and delicious and from what we’re told it is NOT apple sauce, as has been rumored. Actually now that we think about it there has been a generations old debate between Binghamtonians on what that secret ingredient is. Regardless, Little V’s sauce is a Binghamton staple and tastes great on any type of pasta. Personally, we’re fans of the ravioli.
4. Nirchi’s Pizza-Nirchi’s Pizza is a fan favorite in Binghamton. Their iconic square pizza has been feeding hungry customers for almost 50 years. Outside of the normal cheese and pepperoni, Nirchi’s offers their own take on pizza including chicken, bacon, ranch; honey mustard chicken; and Sweet Baby Ray’s. There are several locations around Binghamton waiting for you to try their delicious pies.
5. Lost Dog Rigatoni Ala Vodka-We can’t stress how amazing this dish is. Like amazingly delicious. The vodka sauce is flavorful and garlicky and the pasta is cooked to perfection. They also offer a gluten free version of this dish. PS: We recommend adding chicken and ordering it “old school style” (mixed with cayenne pepper).
6. The Jonesy-Burger Mondays is synonymous with juicy, succulent, hand-made burgers. Chef Matt takes his burgers to the next level. Take the “Jonesy” for instance: it’s a double-stack of pork and beef topped with caramelized fennel, chili pepper salad, pancetta, asiago cheese, worcestershire reduction and the house aioli. Complete your order with a side of cajun fries and a milkshake and you’ll be in for a meal you won’t soon forget.
7. Whole In The Wall Pesto-This pesto is world-famous (yes, WORLD). Its a delicious combination of olive oil, basil, parmesan cheese, pine nuts, fresh garlic and a little creamery butter. AND Whole In The Wall’s pesto contains no artificial ingredients or fillers. We believe them when they say that this pesto is the best in the universe. PS: You can by Whole In The Wall pesto online or at your local supermarket.
8. Zona Quesadilla-These things are not only scrumptious but insanely filling. Finishing one by yourself is a feat in itself. Zona serves up a variety of quesadillas but our go-to is the buffalo chicken. Enjoy it on the Zona patio with an iced cold beer (before Winter arrives) and you’ll be thoroughly pleased.
9. Number 5 Honey Horseradish Shrimp-Number 5 is Binghamton’s quintessential steakhouse and although they serve up some of the best beef and seafood entrees in the area, our favorite item on their menu happens to be an appetizer: the honey horseradish shrimp. This appetizer is the perfect combination of sweet and savory; four shrimp, stuffed with horseradish, wrapped in bacon and then smothered in a sweet honey sauce. We guarantee you’ll be dipping your bread in that sauce once you’re done.
10. Chroma Empanadas-Plain and simple, Chroma is a true asset to the Binghamton food community. They’re making bread, cookies, desserts, sandwiches, salads and more completely from scratch. Our most favorite item on their menu though has to be their empanadas. They dish out a new variety of empanada every day but we’ve honestly never had one we didn’t like. Our personal favorites include macaroni and cheese, buffalo chicken and BBQ pulled pork.
We’re adding one more item to this list: Thai Time’s Pho. This Thai staple has been perfected by Thai Time. Its unique flavor combination will warm your body and soul; It’s perfect for a cool Fall or Winter day.
That’s our list. Happy eating!